Laboratory Technician, Histology - Future OpportunityApply Job ID 2016-4493 Category Laboratory Operations Job Location Redwood City, CA Posted Date 10/21/2017
The Laboratory Technician in Histology is responsible for assisting the Histotechnologists and Pathologists and supporting the daily operations of the Histology Laboratory.
He or she has demonstrated the skills and competency to work in high throughput production environment, the ability to assist the Histotechnologists, Pathologists or other laboratory personnel in manual and automated processing steps and all other support functions, a good understanding of laboratory workflow to address laboratory needs and issues, and the initiatives to contribute to laboratory projects. The Laboratory technician may serve as a lead to the Laboratory Assistant team to coordinate tasks and divide workload as assigned. He or she may review and organize documents, and participate in studies, process and quality improvement activities as assigned.
The nature of the work requires excellent attention to detail, effective written and verbal communication skills, the ability to multi-task and be flexible with tasks and schedules, and the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Maintain stringent standards for quality, identifying any issues which might adversely impact the quality of test results and/or employee safety, and immediately communicating these to the appropriate management representatives as necessary to ensure prompt resolution
- Assist in the general upkeep of the laboratory
- Maintain sufficient inventory of material, supplies and equipment in the laboratory
- Manage and organize inventory of slides, tubes, and blocks
- Assist Histotechnologists in batching samples, label printing, and verification of specimen labeling
- Assist Histotechnologists and Pathologists in research, development and validation studies as needed
- Use Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) to track requisition and specimen status and ensure prompt turnaround time of specimens
- Set up laboratory equipment and perform equipment maintenance independently and according to the laboratory’s standard operating procedures as assigned
- Accurately document and maintain all records for equipment and instruments as assigned
- Support the training of Laboratory Assistants on current and new procedures as assigned
- Assist with organizing and maintaining personnel and training documents as assigned
- May interact with the Customer Service team by phone, fax or e-mail to obtain required information and documentation as assigned
- May support Histotechnologists in monitoring the Histology queue for various tasks that need to be performed and performing these tasks with supervision as assigned
- May review standard operating procedures and provide input as assigned
- May participate in projects under the supervision of a Histotechnologist or Supervisor along with maintaining quality and efficient work flow of daily duties
- May participate in Quality Assurance activities such as internal audits and inspection preparation
- May assist with automated procedures according to the laboratory's standard operating procedures
- May lead the Laboratory Assistant team to coordinate tasks and divide workload as assigned
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Minimum of a High school diploma or equivalent
- At least two years of related experiences in a high throughput production environment, or Laboratory assistant experience at GHI, demonstrating a high level of competency in assisting specimen processing steps and all other supporting functions
- Highly detail and quality oriented
- Experience maintaining inventory or resources in an organized manner
- Ability to learn and follow written procedures
- Ability to use a computer and learn to use new tracking programs
- Ability to analyze issues and trouble shoot or escalate for assistance
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing
- Ability to anticipate and adapt to changes in workflow and schedule
- Strong communicator with ability to maintain open communication with internal employees, managers and customers as needed
- Ability to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner
- Ability to prioritize and drive to results with a high emphasis on quality
- Ability to work as part of a team
- BS or BA degree in Life Sciences or a related field or equivalent
- Experience with high volume laboratory operation
- Experience with Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
- Ability to participate in projects and complete assignments as expected
TRAVEL, PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Travel Requirements: No Travel
- Standing or sitting for long periods of time may be necessary
- Some lifting (greater than 25 pounds) may be necessary
- May be exposed to hazardous materials, tissue specimens and instruments with moving parts, lasers, heating and freezing elements, and high speed centrifugation
- Repetitive manual pipetting may be necessary
Genomic Health is a global provider of genomic-based diagnostic tests that address the overtreatment of cancer, one of the greatest issues in healthcare today. Our goal is to improve the lives of people with cancer by providing personalized, biological information that helps them get the right treatment at the right time, and to avoid unnecessary treatments and their side effects. In this way, our work is truly life, changing.
- Our Oncotype IQ Genomic Intelligence Platform is a portfolio of diagnostic tests that help physicians and patients answer specific and critical treatment questions throughout the cancer journey
- We currently offer Oncotype tests addressing breast, colon, prostate and lung cancers and hundreds of thousands of patients from over 90 countries have benefited from our tests.
- The Oncotype DX breast cancer test is considered standard of care in the US and is included in all major international clinical guidelines for breast cancer treatment.
- We are expanding our portfolio of tests to include additional liquid- and tissue-based tests through clinical research and internal product development as well as strategic partnerships.
Join the Genomic Health Team, and have the unique opportunity to make a difference in the lives of patients with cancer, while developing your career potential. We embrace our unique culture characterized by our Core Values of Community, Truth Seeking, Being Ahead of the Curve and Winning to be the best in the world at what we do. We maintain competitive total rewards programs designed to satisfy our employees’ work life and personal life needs.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
If you want to be part of a team that prides itself in teamwork and developing cutting-edge technology at Genomic Health, apply today!