Senior Director Oncology DevelopmentApply Job ID 2016-4638 Category Research & Development Job Location Redwood City, CA Posted Date 10/21/2017
Genomic Health, Inc. (GHI) is seeking an exceptional investigator in Oncology with a strong interest in precision medicine to be a member of Oncology Development in Translational Sciences. The Oncology Development Senior Director/Director will be responsible for providing clinical leadership during the development of new products and new applications of existing products that improve cancer care through molecular insight. Genomic Health is building upon the success of the Oncotype DX breast, colon, and prostate cancer assays with a growing number of programs focused on developing comprehensive solutions for cancer patients and providers including next-generation sequencing-based assays on tissue and liquid patient samples. To support these programs, the Senior Director will be expected to: 1) provide oncology expertise during the due diligence, development, validation, and implementation of practice-changing molecular assays, 2) initiate and manage external collaborations involving leaders in academic oncology, cooperative groups, and research organizations, 3) identify, qualify, and choose sites and investigators to participate in key clinical trials, 4) review, interpret, present, and oversee the reporting of key results, and 5) act as medical monitor for clinical trials. The successful candidate will lead internal collaborative, cross-functional program teams including members from genomic sciences, bioinformatics, pathology, biostatistics, clinical operations, medical affairs, and commercial and be a leader across Genomic Health as a member of Research and Development.. The Senior Director for Oncology Development will report to the Chief Medical Officer.
- Provide leadership, Oncology expertise, and clinical insight for cross-functional teams at Genomic Health, Inc throughout the lifecycle of practice-changing genomic tests and services.
- Lead the clinical activities for assigned Development Programs including management of external collaborations required for assay development, proof-of-concept studies, and clinical validation studies.
- Lead the development of clinical protocols required to support product development, validation, and/or commercialization including the adoption and/or development of novel approaches for demonstrating clinical validation and utility.
- Identify opportunities to expand indications for existing products and craft and manage clinical protocols required to demonstrate validity and utility.
- Engage with thought leaders in oncology to gain a greater understanding of key clinical questions in oncology and to facilitate their understanding of the scientific validity and clinical utility of GHI products
- Assume accountability for scientific presentations and publications generated as a result of product development collaboration
- Collaborate with program core team members from Research and Development, Product Lifecycle Management and Commercial to participate in the formulation of commercialization strategy, creation of product profiles for new products and line extensions, and provide strategic and tactical advice for development of Oncology science and business at GHI.
- Engage with Translational Sciences’ leadership team colleagues for continuous improvement of team leadership practices including department communication methods, interviewing potential new team members, teambuilding and enhancement of GHI’s unique culture.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- MD/PhD or MD with specialty training in Oncology
- At least 15-20 years’ experience in healthcare preferred with at least 5 years experience in Oncology with emphasis on clinical/translational research and the development of new therapeutics and/or molecular diagnostics
- Experience leading teams of professionals focused on complex, multi-faceted projects
- Strong analytical skills and familiarity with laboratory analytical process development and biostatistics
- Demonstrated ability to build and manage internal and external collaborations
- Capable of innovative and proactive approaches which will result in identifying new product opportunities and expansion of existing products
- Strong communicator with ability to maintain open communication with internal employees, managers and customers as needed
- Able to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner
- Able to prioritize and drive to results with a high emphasis on quality
- Ability to work well in a cross-functional team environment
TRAVEL, PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Travel Requirements: 20-30% Travel
- Standing or sitting for long periods of time may be necessary
- May be exposed to hazardous materials, tissue specimens and instruments with moving parts, lasers, heating and freezing elements, and high speed centrifugation
Genomic Health is a global provider of genomic-based diagnostic tests that address the overtreatment of cancer, one of the greatest issues in healthcare today. Our goal is to improve the lives of people with cancer by providing personalized, biological information that helps them get the right treatment at the right time, and to avoid unnecessary treatments and their side effects. In this way, our work is truly life, changing.
- Our Oncotype IQ Genomic Intelligence Platform is a portfolio of diagnostic tests that help physicians and patients answer specific and critical treatment questions throughout the cancer journey
- We currently offer Oncotype tests addressing breast, colon, prostate and lung cancers and hundreds of thousands of patients from over 90 countries have benefited from our tests.
- The Oncotype DX breast cancer test is considered standard of care in the US and is included in all major international clinical guidelines for breast cancer treatment.
- We are expanding our portfolio of tests to include additional liquid- and tissue-based tests through clinical research and internal product development as well as strategic partnerships.
Join the Genomic Health Team, and have the unique opportunity to make a difference in the lives of patients with cancer, while developing your career potential. We embrace our unique culture characterized by our Core Values of Community, Truth Seeking, Being Ahead of the Curve and Winning to be the best in the world at what we do. We maintain competitive total rewards programs designed to satisfy our employees’ work life and personal life needs.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
If you want to be part of a team that prides itself in teamwork and developing cutting-edge technology at Genomic Health, apply today!