Research and Development Associate IApply Job ID 2017-5061 Category Research & Development Job Location Redwood City, CA Posted Date 10/21/2017
As the Laboratory Associate I, you will be responsible for providing technical support within a cross-functional team to research and develop novel NGS or PCR-based products and services in the area of cancer biology.
Reporting into a manager within the Genomic Sciences department within Research & Development, you will participate in, interact with and support various cross functional teams and may act as a liaison between these teams and the Products & Services R&D group.
- Perform equipment maintenance according to the laboratory’s standard operating procedures
- Maintain sufficient inventory of material, supplies and equipment in the laboratory for performance of duties
- Ensure on-time calibration of laboratory equipment
- Accurately document and maintain all records for equipment and instruments
- Maintain stringent standards for quality, identifying any issues which might adversely impact the quality of test results and/or employee safety, and communicating these to the appropriate management representatives as necessary for resolution
- Review and revise standard operating procedures as assigned
- Ability to participate in projects and complete assignments as expected
- Process incoming biological samples for use in clinical R&D studies
- Perform RNA and/or DNA isolation from biologic tissues (e.g. tumor tissue, blood, urine)
- Other duties as assigned
- B.S. degree in molecular biology, genetics, biochemistry or biology or equivalent experience
- 0 – 2 years of experience in an academic or commercial setting conducting assays to support biological/clinical studies is desirable but not required.
- Familiarity with standard molecular biology techniques such as nucleic acid isolation, gel electrophoresis and PCR.
- Strong communicator with ability to maintain open communication with internal employees, managers, and customers as needed
- Able to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner
- Able to prioritize and drive to results with a high emphasis on quality
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Some experience in an academic or commercial setting conducting assays to support biological/clinical studies
- Experience with Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
- Familiarity with running assays or processes on robotic system
- Experience with RT-PCR and NGS
- Proficient in MS Office including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Repetitive manual pipetting may be necessary
Travel, Physical/Mental Demands and Work Environment:
Genomic Health is a global provider of genomic-based diagnostic tests that address the overtreatment of cancer, one of the greatest issues in healthcare today. Our goal is to improve the lives of people with cancer by providing personalized, biological information that helps them get the right treatment at the right time, and to avoid unnecessary treatments and their side effects. In this way, our work is truly life, changing.
- Our Oncotype IQ Genomic Intelligence Platform is a portfolio of diagnostic tests that help physicians and patients answer specific and critical treatment questions throughout the cancer journey
- We currently offer Oncotype tests addressing breast, colon, prostate and lung cancers and hundreds of thousands of patients from over 90 countries have benefited from our tests.
- The Oncotype DX breast cancer test is considered standard of care in the US and is included in all major international clinical guidelines for breast cancer treatment.
- We are expanding our portfolio of tests to include additional liquid- and tissue-based tests through clinical research and internal product development as well as strategic partnerships.
Join the Genomic Health Team, and have the unique opportunity to make a difference in the lives of patients with cancer, while developing your career potential. We embrace our unique culture characterized by our Core Values of Community, Truth Seeking, Being Ahead of the Curve and Winning to be the best in the world at what we do. We maintain competitive total rewards programs designed to satisfy our employees’ work life and personal life needs.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
If you want to be part of a team that prides itself in teamwork and developing cutting-edge technology at Genomic Health, apply today!