Director of Development PathologyApply Job ID 2017-5104 Category Medical Job Location Redwood City, CA Posted Date 10/21/2017
Reporting to the Vice President of Pathology, You will be responsible for the overall operation and leadership of the Development Pathology Organization. You will lead the Biomaterials Repository, and also directly provide high quality clinical pathology reads or annotation and signing out of Next Generation Sequencing somatic tissue and liquid molecular pathology reports from Genomic Health's Clinical Laboratory.
- Management and oversight of all aspects of the Pathology Development staff to provide the highest quality Pathology professional services for Research and Development efforts ranging from discovery or concept feasibility to product launch and transition to operations.
- Manage Development Pathologists working on internal multi-functional teams and working groups as well as collaborating externally with pathologists, oncologists and surgeons. This position will develop relationships with pathology key opinion leaders.
- Assist in or direct the Pathology Development efforts including writing and review of study concept sheets, study protocols, study letters of intent, and study contracts.
- Develop and mentor employees in developing professional relationships with study collaborators, particularly with collaborator pathologists
- Lead the review of collaborator pathology resources and materials
- Oversee and participate in collection, cleaning and review of study data review including report creation
- Oversee and direct collaborators and/or directly provide H&E slide review for key study covariates
- Define roles and deliverables for team member attendance at key international and domestic medical oncology and pathology meetings
- Direct the submission of pathology abstracts related to the clinical laboratory experience for publication to appropriate meetings which may include: SABCS, ASCO Breast, USCAP, CAP
- Collaborator preparation and personally present pathology related data from relevant Development Product(s) at global conferences and talks.
- Oversee and participate in writing pathology manuscripts related to the commercial process for publication
- Lead or provide subject matter expertise to Accessioning, Customer Service, Medical Affairs and Clinical Pathology teams with launch of new products including: translation, standardisation and documentation of SOPs, definition and development of sample submission criteria and customer materials; handling customer service outreach calls; training staff for customer product queries and scaling of customer related call backs regarding all pathology related questions.
- Train Medical Affairs and Customer Service during new product launch and throughout product life cycle regarding relevant validation results and supporting analyses and data including research and development, and clinical validation.
- Partner with Medical Affairs and Marketing in Speaker Training and Advisory Boards, representing Genomic Health externally.
- Cultivate reputation as leader in Pathology and or Molecular Pathology with documented performance, professional accomplishment and publication history.
- Represent the Clinical Laboratory, Development and Medical Affairs in public speaking engagements on behalf of the company.
- Develop good working relationships with key internal collaborators including: Oncology Development, Product Sciences, Biostatistics, Clinical Operations, Sales and Marketing, Medical Affairs, Process Engineering, Clinical Operations and Clinical Laboratory.
Professional Societies and Meetings
- Participating member of CAP; experience in CAP leadership preferred
- Participating member of AMP preferred
- Attend key pathology and laboratory medicine meetings including: AMP, USCAP & CAP
- Attend key oncology meetings including ASCO, SABCS
Public Speaking and Physician Education
- Work with academic and community anatomic pathologists and staff to extend their understanding of Genomic Health’s products
- Participate in Genomic Health Advisory Boards
- MD. And board-certified in Anatomical or Molecular and Clinical Pathology required. California Medical License required
- Completion of Surgical Pathology Fellowship and Urologic or Molecular Pathology Fellowship or equivalent with strong diagnostic skills.
- Greater than 15 years experience including industry experience in Diagnostic Surgical Pathology or Molecular Pathology, including experience managing employees
- Demonstrated excellent oral, written communication and presentation skills.
- Team leadership experience with the ability to keep communication lines open with partners at all levels internally, including individual employees, working team members and executives, as well as externally with patients and clients
- Demonstrated leadership abilities and enthusiasm to hire, mentor, develop, and inspire a group of professionals
- Open and adaptable to changing methods and technologies
- Track record of success in mentoring and leading a pathology team
- Displays creative and dedicated approaches in identifying new opportunities to define and refine molecular assays and services
- Capable of building productive cross-functional collaborations and alignment both within and external to Genomic Health
- Able to build formal networks with key decision makers and serve as external spokesperson for the organization
- Experience in abstract writing, oral presentation, manuscript writing and publication is required Able to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and drive the timely delivery of quality results, either independently or by directing others
- Experience with digital pathology and image analysis is desired
Travel, Physical/Mental Demands and Work Environment:
Genomic Health is a global provider of genomic-based diagnostic tests that address the overtreatment of cancer, one of the greatest issues in healthcare today. Our goal is to improve the lives of people with cancer by providing personalized, biological information that helps them get the right treatment at the right time, and to avoid unnecessary treatments and their side effects. In this way, our work is truly life, changing.
- Our Oncotype IQ Genomic Intelligence Platform is a portfolio of diagnostic tests that help physicians and patients answer specific and critical treatment questions throughout the cancer journey
- We currently offer Oncotype tests addressing breast, colon, prostate and lung cancers and hundreds of thousands of patients from over 90 countries have benefited from our tests.
- The Oncotype DX breast cancer test is considered standard of care in the US and is included in all major international clinical guidelines for breast cancer treatment.
- We are expanding our portfolio of tests to include additional liquid- and tissue-based tests through clinical research and internal product development as well as strategic partnerships.
Join the Genomic Health Team, and have the unique opportunity to make a difference in the lives of patients with cancer, while developing your career potential. We embrace our unique culture characterized by our Core Values of Community, Truth Seeking, Being Ahead of the Curve and Winning to be the best in the world at what we do. We maintain competitive total rewards programs designed to satisfy our employees’ work life and personal life needs.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
If you want to be part of a team that prides itself in teamwork and developing cutting-edge technology at Genomic Health, apply today!