Laboratory Technician, Mid-Shift (Temporary)Apply Job ID 2017-5107 Category Laboratory Operations Job Location Redwood City, CA Posted Date 10/21/2017
The Laboratory Assistant in Histology is responsible for assisting the Histotechnologist and Pathologist and supporting the daily operations of the Histology Laboratory. The nature of the work requires excellent attention to detail, effective written and verbal communication skills, the ability to multi-task and be flexible with tasks and schedules, and the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Maintain stringent standards for quality, identifying any issues which might adversely impact the quality of test results and/or employee safety, and immediately communicating these to the appropriate management representatives as necessary to ensure prompt resolution
- Assist in the general upkeep of the laboratory
- Maintain sufficient inventory of material, supplies and equipment in the laboratory
- Manage and organize inventory of slides, tubes, and blocks
- Assist Histotechnologists in batching samples, label printing, and verification of specimen labeling
- Assist Histotechnologists and Pathologists in research, development and validation studies as needed
- May perform equipment maintenance independently and according to the laboratory’s standard operating procedures as assigned
- May interact with Customer Service by phone, fax or e-mail to obtain required information and documentation as assigned
- Use Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) to track requisition and specimen status and ensure prompt turnaround time of specimens
- May participate in projects under the supervision of a Histotechnologist or Supervisor along with maintaining quality and efficient work flow of daily duties
- Perform other duties as necessary
- Minimum of a High School diploma or equivalent
- Highly detail and quality oriented
- Experience maintaining inventory or resources in an organized manner
- Experience with laboratory or production work environment
- Ability to learn and follow written procedures
- Ability to use a computer and learn to use new tracking programs
- Ability to analyze issues and trouble shoot or escalate for assistance
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing
- Strong communicator with ability to maintain open communication with internal employees, managers and customers as needed
- Able to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner
- Able to prioritize and drive to results with a high emphasis on quality
- Ability to work as part of a team
- An Associate Degree (A.A.) or equivalent
- Experience with high volume laboratory operations
Genomic Health is a global provider of genomic-based diagnostic tests that address the overtreatment of cancer, one of the greatest issues in healthcare today. Our goal is to improve the lives of people with cancer by providing personalized, biological information that helps them get the right treatment at the right time, and to avoid unnecessary treatments and their side effects. In this way, our work is truly life, changing.
- Our Oncotype IQ Genomic Intelligence Platform is a portfolio of diagnostic tests that help physicians and patients answer specific and critical treatment questions throughout the cancer journey
- We currently offer Oncotype tests addressing breast, colon, prostate and lung cancers and hundreds of thousands of patients from over 90 countries have benefited from our tests.
- The Oncotype DX breast cancer test is considered standard of care in the US and is included in all major international clinical guidelines for breast cancer treatment.
- We are expanding our portfolio of tests to include additional liquid- and tissue-based tests through clinical research and internal product development as well as strategic partnerships.
Join the Genomic Health Team, and have the unique opportunity to make a difference in the lives of patients with cancer, while developing your career potential. We embrace our unique culture characterized by our Core Values of Community, Truth Seeking, Being Ahead of the Curve and Winning to be the best in the world at what we do. We maintain competitive total rewards programs designed to satisfy our employees’ work life and personal life needs.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
If you want to be part of a team that prides itself in teamwork and developing cutting-edge technology at Genomic Health, apply today!