Pathology DirectorApply Job ID 2017-5134 Category Medical Job Location Redwood City, CA Posted Date 10/21/2017
Genomic Health, Inc. (GHI) is seeking an extraordinary individual with strong surgical pathology technical skills including molecular or urologic subspecialty expertise and interpersonal skills to join its Pathology Organization. You should have real passion for both surgical pathology and molecular pathology with a keen interest in bridging tradition surgical pathology with molecular pathology to drive the innovation, development, commercialization, adoption and support of assays that improve the quality of treatment decisions for patients with cancer.
Reporting to the Vice President of Pathology, You’re responsible for providing pathology content expertise to the Product Franchise, Core and Program Teams in the innovation and development of new molecular assays. You’ll collaborate with cross-functional teams, working groups and departments to ensure the highest quality and the best fit for purpose development or acquisition of best in class assays for patients with cancer. They will collaborate with the Biomaterials Repository, Oncology Development, Product Sciences, Biostatistics, and Clinical Operations.
You will also play a significant working role in the support of the daily operations of the Commercial Laboratory by providing critical surgical pathology expertise in the daily operations of the Commercial Laboratory by reviewing breast, colon, and prostate carcinomas or annotation and signing out of Next Generation Sequencing somatic tissue and liquid molecular pathology reports.
Providing highest quality Medical and Pathology professional services for the Development Organization, including interactions across the GHI matrix and with collaborator pathologists, oncologists, and surgeons
- Participating as Pathologist and/or leading appropriate Franchise Teams not limited to Core, Clinical Teams and working groups.
- Assisting in or directing all aspects of the development, writing and review of study concept sheets, study protocols, study letters of intent, and study contracts.
- Developing professional relationships with study collaborators, particularly with collaborator pathologists
- Reviewing collaborator pathology resources and materials
- Establishing medical contacts with collaborator pathologists and pathology staff
- Assisting in collection, cleaning and review of study data review including report creation
- Assisting in or directing abstract submission, presentations & publications
- Directing collaborators and/or providing H&E slide review for key study covariates
- Attend key domestic franchise medical and pathology meetings
- Developing professional relationships with pathology key opinion leaders
- Present pathology related data from relevant Development Product(s)
Providing highest quality professional Medical and Pathology services for the Commercial Organization
- Leading Clinical Pathology activities during new product commercial launch in the training of Clinical Pathology staff and the translation, standardization and documentation of standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Leading and/or supporting Clinical Pathology Cross Functional activities during new product commercial launch including - when applicable: direction to Lab Ops, Accessioning, Customer Service and Clinical Pathology in the training of staff and translation, standardization and documentation of SOP.
- Supporting Genomic Health Accessioning, Customer Service and Medical Affairs Teams with launch of new products including: assistance in definition and development of sample submission criteria and customer materials; handling customer service outreach calls; training staff for customer product queries and scaling of customer related call backs regarding all pathology related questions, e.g., single gene discordances, Recurrence Score veracity, clinic-pathologic correlations.
- Support and training of Medical Affairs and Customer Service during new product launch and throughout product life cycle regarding relevant validation results and supporting analyses and data including research and development, and clinical validation.
- Initial direction and subsequent transition to Clinical Pathology of Sales field support, including public speaking on behalf of Genomic Health at Sales Dinner Programs.
- Support of Medical Affairs, Sales and Marketing and training of Clinical Pathology during new product commercial development and product launch including assistance in defining sample submission criteria and trouble-shooting customer sample preparation issues.
- Directing Pathology related aspects of Genomic Health initial Sales Team Wave Training with transition to Clinical Pathology post-launch.
- Participating in the development of the Pathology organization and business at Genomic Health.
- Developing professional relationships with key internal collaborators in Genomic Health including: Research and Development, Sales and Marketing, Medical Affairs, Process Engineering, and the Clinical Laboratory.
Providing highest quality professional pathology services for Clinical Laboratory Operations
- Providing subspecialty professional pathology services to the Clinical Pathology Team and the Clinical Laboratory Operations by:
- Providing microscopic review of clinical laboratory H&E and IHC slides
- Providing a critical resource for complicated H&E and IHC review for the Clinical Pathology Team
- Reviewing submitted pathology reports and materials
- Providing consultative services for Customer Service, Sales, Marketing and Medical Affairs
- Providing NGS somatic panel and liquid biopsy annotation and report release
- Participating in quarterly GHI Consultant Pathology meetings.
- Providing leadership to Clinical Pathology Organization including Digital Pathology, IHC and Process Improvement.
Professional Societies & Meetings
- Participating member of CAP required with CAP Committee experience preferred
- Attending key pathology and laboratory medicine meetings including: AMP, USCAP & CAP
Public Speaking and Physician Education
- Working with academic and community anatomic pathologists & staff to extend their understanding of the Genomic Health’s products
- Participating in Genomic Health’s Pathology Advisor’s Group
- MD. and must be board-certified in Anatomical and Clinical Pathology
- CA Medical License preferred
- Completion of Surgical Pathology Fellowship
- Completion of a Subspecialty Fellowship in Urologic or Molecular Pathology
- Greater than 5 years of experience in Diagnostic Anatomic Pathology
- Strong diagnostic skills in Surgical Pathology
- Experience in abstract writing and oral presentation is required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Flexibility to changing methods and technologies
- Capable of innovative and proactive approaches in identifying new opportunities to refine and improve operations
- Capability to lead and build productive cross-functional collaborations both within and external to Genomic Health
- Experience in business with external customers
- Ability to lead cross functional teams and build team consensus
- Able to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner
Genomic Health is a global provider of genomic-based diagnostic tests that address the overtreatment of cancer, one of the greatest issues in healthcare today. Our goal is to improve the lives of people with cancer by providing personalized, biological information that helps them get the right treatment at the right time, and to avoid unnecessary treatments and their side effects. In this way, our work is truly life, changing.
- Our Oncotype IQ Genomic Intelligence Platform is a portfolio of diagnostic tests that help physicians and patients answer specific and critical treatment questions throughout the cancer journey
- We currently offer Oncotype tests addressing breast, colon, prostate and lung cancers and hundreds of thousands of patients from over 90 countries have benefited from our tests.
- The Oncotype DX breast cancer test is considered standard of care in the US and is included in all major international clinical guidelines for breast cancer treatment.
- We are expanding our portfolio of tests to include additional liquid- and tissue-based tests through clinical research and internal product development as well as strategic partnerships.
Join the Genomic Health Team, and have the unique opportunity to make a difference in the lives of patients with cancer, while developing your career potential. We embrace our unique culture characterized by our Core Values of Community, Truth Seeking, Being Ahead of the Curve and Winning to be the best in the world at what we do. We maintain competitive total rewards programs designed to satisfy our employees’ work life and personal life needs.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
If you want to be part of a team that prides itself in teamwork and developing cutting-edge technology at Genomic Health, apply today!